Friday, January 1, 2016

Enough

I remember when the whole kindergarten class played kissing tag every recess.
Most of us secretly wanted to lose.

I remember fighting every lunchtime in fourth grade to prove I was a man
and never winning, but still growing up to be a man at the same rate as everyone else.

I remember when mom sang for our family talent show.
The music was malfunctioning as if performing didn't make her nervous enough.
Dad was on his phone
and I didn't know how to clap loud enough to tell her how much I loved it.

Highland Elementary, Pokemon, Blockbuster, and getting in a sword fight with Captain Hook at Disneyland because I dressed up as Peter Pan.
They're all still there.
Going to a Yankees game with dad the year Jeter retired was mainstream and didn't change the world but I love it just the same.

I remember too many best friends and not enough about what happened, but it's okay.
I remember the days before love, happy, lonely, mourning, humor, hope and so many other words meant so much. And I know they'll mean more in the future.
I remember when Billy Joel was the closest company I had and I can't forget a word from greatest hits CD.

I forgot so much
but I remembered enough for a poem
nostalgia
and a little learning.

And I wouldn't ask for more or less.

8 comments:

  1. "and I didn't know how to clap loud enough to tell her how much I loved it."

    Reminds me of the fact that i can't snap and it makes me upset during slam team.


    "I remember too many best friends and not enough about what happened, but it's okay."

    I always wonder how old friends from elementary school are doing, and I always hope that their doing better than they were in 7th grade. 7th grade sucked, but so did 9th grade. And most of my friends from 9th grade are suicidal so...
    Wow sorry this comment got so down, anyways, i liked this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trev your just the best. I wrote something like this, but your's is way better

    ReplyDelete
  3. the part about jeter
    and billy joel
    and the last few lines

    i loved this one
    i love them all
    but i loved this one

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I remember too many best friends and not enough about what happened, but it's okay"
    #stolen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the first line and everything that comes after it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Dad was on his phone"
    #stolen
    This hit me. It reminds me of my life
    Loved this.

    ReplyDelete