Saturday, August 29, 2015

And Let's Introduce

Let's go to Paris instead of Hiroshima.


Climb the Eiffel Tower in our torn khakis and jump from the top into a pool of burning white-picket-fences that never adequately protected a house.

Let's go to Paris instead of Hiroshima and not even mention Nagasaki because they came second.

Our grandparents are World War kids and our parents are Cold War kids and we're Terror War kids and we're all just kids, defined by war, searching for the peace that we aren't.
A peace that would drive us to insanity in just a week of happy headlines.

Let's write like Shakespeare and throw one curse word in, just to see which word they talk about in the end. Let's mark C on all the standardized tests and tell our teachers we did our best. 
Let's slit our wrists because we're in bits and our eyes are throwing fits not seeing the same truth as our hearts.

And let's please don't do that.

The number of people I've kissed depends on who's asking and I'm sick of confidence not lasting.

Weak paragraphs for epitaphs because how could words ever be enough? Weak paragraphs to fill paper gaps even though Less is perfectly capable of being More.
Weak boys bench-pressing in public because no one actually cares how much weight they're carrying.
Weak fabrics woven for dresses so that uncomfortable girls can wear them for one night.
Weak weeks because Monday through Sunday feels like one day when you're wide eyed, sleep deprived and living on a loop.

Once a year saying "Never Forget" then letting it slip the mind for another 364 plus leap year, and maybe I'm talking about that day in September and maybe I'm talking about that day in December but what I'm really trying to remember is why it has to get so cloudy before the sky can cry.

And let's please don't think I'm only focused on gray weather because the sun makes art each morning regardless of if we sleep through, and doesn't even brag after. And that's not usual, but it exists.

Or maybe just because I don't want to be cliche.

And let's not relapse into filling more paper gaps with contradictions today.

And let's put an end to introductions.













26 comments:

  1. I'm not sure how to but this into words, but I started smiling a whole lot while reading this and then had to hide it so my family didn't think I was crazy.

    ...so that's definitely a complement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "and I'm sick of confidence not lasting."

    yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes

    Feels like confidence only lasts in doses and it's not fair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Less is perfectly capable of being More"

    well said. such a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Introductions rarely leave me speechless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!! This is liquid gold. I love everything about this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yessss! Yessss! I don't even know what to say. Wow. Just wow. Absolutely blown away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. THE SKY CRYING PART AND "The number of people I've kissed depends on who's asking and I'm sick of confidence not lasting." can you like... inbox me who you are because wow... this was impressive. really.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i have read every blog submitted and i keep coming back to this post. love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. Just... Wow. So many lines that I just want to hang on my wall. You're going to come out of this year with something amazing. Not just for you, but for everyone. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Our grandparents are World War kids and our parents are Cold War kids and we're Terror War kids and we're all just kids, defined by war, searching for the peace that we aren't."

    WHO ARE YOU BECAUSE YOU ARE INCREDIBLE????

    ReplyDelete
  12. "our eyes are throwing fits not seeing the same truth as our hearts."
    Is my favorite line. That was pure wizardry

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was amazing. You are seriously gifted. Loved every part of this and I am so excited to continue to read your blogs! So good!! I can tell you're going to be my favorite already.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ^^That comment was supposed to be from Zoe but obviously I dont know how to work this thing yet.

    ReplyDelete
  15. unreal. the line about kissing depending on who's asking...

    gahhh

    ReplyDelete
  16. this was so beautiful holy cow

    you are one talented writer. can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. OH MY.

    I COULD HARDLY READ EVERY LINE BECAUSE IT WAS ALL TOO MUCH
    SO GUTEN. WELL DONE.

    "Let's write like Shakespeare and throw one curse word in, just to see which word they talk about in the end."

    ReplyDelete
  19. This. Wow. The flow and rhythm and meaning behind everything was mind blowing. You're one of the greats I can already tell.

    ReplyDelete
  20. read this again and there's so much more to it than i realized the first time because ^^^ you really are one of the greats and i won't forget it. so you shouldnt either.

    ReplyDelete
  21. "Weak boys bench-pressing in public because no one actually cares how much weight they're carrying." incredible. truly. I love this line more than words describe.

    ReplyDelete