Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Still

It's not that the game didn't matter, it's just that I wasn't watching.

Because when you show up alone at halftime and look into the constellation of humans in bleachers you just might finally recognize the light years of loneliness separating each heavenly body regardless of if the astronomers named them "Mom" or "that kid who sits by the knight".

Twenty-five-hundred the number ingrained in our brains from the moment we were quarantined together, but I looked through it twice and couldn't find the cousin who would laugh as he took my place in hell, or grandparents living their lives like a duet in no need of a crescendo.

I know I've left out Ted Bundy and your boss, but somehow, I still like people.


I looked into the bleachers and saw stars instead of worlds, because their light doesn't rely on anything but the street lamps of Alpine and forest fires of Compton raging straight out of ever-pounding hearts to undefined bloodstreams.
So much brighter than the words "world class" or any of the world's classes, and I don't care what corner of the galaxy you're from, because we're trying to bridge light years, and we're drastically behind.

For some reason the non-socialite mother who knew her son wouldn't play looked so brave sitting there alone. 
Not cheering, because at forty she's still shy, and number 99 by the water coolers doesn't need another voice in the crowd to know that he is loved.

Sometimes all they make is noise and rage
So I can't explain it
But I still like them.

 There's a dank and overgrown forest in their heart alongside the echoless canyon in their bones.
But instead of rustling leaves, crackling fires and howling wolves-
I hear crickets.
Yellow lights to beat.
Weather they claim to love but hide from under an umbrella when it comes.
Raindrops who came for that promise of love but vanish uncharted into the far-too absorbent ground.

But mom always kissed my hand before she left me with a babysitter,
and I felt safe all night long.

Dad knew absolutely everything,
and when he didn't
There's no help Google couldn't offer a pair of 9 to 5 suburbanite pre-2010 best friends.

That's 2.
And 7 billion is too many to juggle yet still not enough to fill up the night sky.

But I don't know,
I still like people.





16 comments:

  1. "It's not that the game didn't matter, it's just that I wasn't watching."
    Amen.......................Amen

    ReplyDelete
  2. fantastic! also... the picture from the office? PRICELESS. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "For some reason the non-socialite mother who knew her son wouldn't play looked so brave sitting there alone.
    Not cheering, because at forty she's still shy, and number 99 by the water coolers doesn't need another voice in the crowd to know that he is loved."

    i am so jealous that you wrote this.

    and the part about wanting love but hiding under the umbrella when it comes. that part hit hard.

    this was so well written. you do such a good job with imagery and expressing how you are feeling. i wish i had a vocabulary like yours.

    I'm really just blown away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was so good and well thought out and you're quickly becoming one of my favorite blogs.

    I would quote some lines but I would end up copying the whole post

    But I love the part about the non-socialite mother and her son who knows he's loved and everything about space and the stars and your mother kissing your hand before she leaves and I love the way you think and you're just so good and putting into words.

    Honestly. This is my fav post so far and you're one of my favorite bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked the part about your mother kissing your hand before she leaves.

    Small.

    But huge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's just that i wasn't watching.


    i still like people too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. mic drop

    jaw drop

    and i think my stomach dropped as well because when I read something beautiful and real and poetic and human, i can't really help it

    ReplyDelete
  8. because at forty she's still shy

    i don't know why but that is just the best thing ever and i love it and this post

    ReplyDelete
  9. what. how? you are so amazing I can't even take all this in in just one read!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WHY ARE YOU SUCH A GOOD WRITER. I mean people are stars and it's all at a football game and... I can't handle it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. this gave me chills.

    holy shit

    you're amazing.

    ReplyDelete